Saturday, September 3, 2011

The perfect Titan

I have not been this excited about a new phone since the release of the HTC Desire HD in 2010. Since seeing the press releases of HTC's new Titan, has me pining for a new device from HTC. The HTC Titan  is far from the perfect next generation device, but it is a good preview of what HTC can do next.

HTC Desire HD

When I was decided on what smartphone to get, I decided on getting the device with the biggest screen I could comfortable carry. While the traditional phone functions of of calls and SMS are still very important, one thing we all will be doing with our cutting edge smartphones is reading. Plenty of reading. From webpages, email, social networking feeds, to documents, newspapers, magazines and comic books, we will do plenty of reading. The best device for this job is the biggest screen your are willing to carry which you can still hold in one hand for quick access to messages and making phone calls.

At that time I took the monster 4.3-inch 123 x 68 x 11.8 mm Desire HD in my hand and it felt comfortable enough, making allowance for the fact that I would put it in a protective case, a OtterBox Commuter. At that time, I thought that was the biggest screen I could handle on a smartphone.  Than comes that 4.7-inch uber monster which is the HTC Titan. The Titan measures in at 131.5 x 70.7 x 9.9 mm. This makes it 2.7mm wider than my Desire HD, but also 1.9 mm thinner. 

HTC Titan

Now the Titan has a 480 x 800 screen with a 6:10 height versus width ratio. Imagine what its dimensions would be like with a 540 x 960 qHD (quarter HD screen) or higher resolution HD screen. That would have a 9:16 height versus width ratio. A HTC Titan like device with that screen would be just be just about 68 mm wide with an at 9.9 mm thick would be easier on the hand than my current HTC Desire HD.

Give that phone a dual core scorpion processor, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage, the 8MP camera of the Titan, and it HTC could have another go at Samsung class leading Galaxy S II. I suspect we will be seeing the HTC "Titan HD", in a bit, running Ice Cream (Android 4.0). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...